Create these beautiful paper birds from strips of paper and glue. These curly birds are so much fun to assemble and even more fun to display or play with. Make just one or many by experimenting with different color combinations This craft is simplistic and elegant and a masterful display of how shapes can come together to create beautiful artwork.
- Colorful Card stock paper
- Tacky Glue
How to Make It
First you will need to cut your card stock into measured strips.
- For the body, you will need 5 paper strips that are 1 inch wide in lengths of 3,4,5,6, and 7 inches.
- For the head, you will need 2 paper strips that are 1 inch wide in lengths of 2 1/2 and 3 1/2 inches long
- For the tail, you will need 5 paper strips that are 1 /2 inches wide in lengths 2,3,4,5,6, inches long
- For the beak, you will need a single 1 inch x 2 inch strip.
- For the eyes, you will need a single 1 inch x 1 1/2 inch strip.
- Roll each of the body strips into circles and secure them each with tacky glue. Each should have a glueable overlap of approximately 1/4 inch.
- Layer the circles inside of each other by size. Glue them together at the base of each and secure with a clothespin until dry.
- Repeat the same steps with the head strips and glue the head to the body.
- Make angular cuts on the tail strips to form elongated triangles. Curl these pieces ever so slightly before tacky gluing them to the body.
- Now, fold the beak strip in half and cut the ends angularly into a beak shape. Then refold so that there is a small glueable flat surface the the back and glue the beak onto the head.
- Take your last piece of paper and a tooth pick and roll the paper tightly around the toothpick. Secure the small roll with glue and affix it to in place in the upper front part of the head, within the paper strips of the head.