The Dinosaur State Park spans over 63 acres of land. Back in the 1960's a bulldozing excavator uncovered this patch of hundreds of dinosaur tracks from 200 million years ago right in Connecticut. The Dinosaur State park is now a National landmark and houses a museum and exhibit hall and a state park.
Appoximately 500 of the early Jurassic tracks are encased under a dome inside the exhibit center and museum for all to see. It is fascinating to learn, however, the the other 1500 or more tracks were buried again for preservation. So, as you are walking through the trails at the park, remember that underneath your feet is documented evidence that you are walking in t he footsteps of these amazing creatures who inhabited the Earth millions of years ago.
Things to Do
- Explore the outdoor walking trails and picnic areas in the park.
- Explore the exhibit museum which houses real dinosaur fossil tracks that were uncovered on that location.
- Enjoy short educational movies offered in the auditorium.
- Get in on the hands on action with a mining activity.
- In the summer months they offer a track casting activity and take home a casting of real dinosaur tracks.
- Letterboxing and Cache activities
- Super sleuth your way through the BINGO scavenger hunt.
- Programs are offered on weekends which include the animals at the park.
- Identify more than 250 species of trees in the Arboretum
- Shop at the bookshop for dinosaur themed gifts
Dinosaur State Park Insider Tips
- Be sure to check your local CT library for Dinosaur State Park passes. Access to the park and trails is always free, but there is an admission fee of $6 for anyone over the age of 5 to enter the exhibit hall. But it is all free if you are able to check out a library pass to the park/
- There is not food sold at the park, so I would recommend either packing a lunch for the picnic area or visiting one of the nearby local restaurants before of after your visit.
- There is food or drink is allowed inside the museum.
- Admission counts for the entire day, so you may come and go as you please as long as you have your receipt.
- In the summer months there is an interactive track casting area available.
- The park will accept Visa, Mastercard and Discover for purchases over $10. The do not accept debit cards or American Express