Learn all about the settling of the America Frontier at the Frontier Cultural Museum. located in Staunton, Virginia. This museum really focuses on the culture of the people to emigrated to America. Here you will have the opportunity to explore the Old World style homes of the people who emigrated here and the New World style homes of the immigrants who settle here.
The homes are authentically decorated and the farms and livestock are just like they would have been back then. Guides are dressed in period attire for the farms they are representing, prepare meals, churning butter and tending to the fields. This definitely a phenomenal walk back in time.
Things to See & Do
- Explore the Old Frontier featuring original buildings and artifacts brought here piece by piece from their respective countries of origin.
- Docents in period dress welcome you as you enter each building and give you informative stories and lessons about the structure and way of life in the Old Frontier.
- Docents remain in character and do hands on demonstrations detailing their daily work.
The Frontier Cultural Museum Insider Tips
- Visiting on the weekdays is preferable. You will enjoy fewer crowds and more personal attention. You will also have more opportunities for hands on experiences.
- Be prepared to walk a bit from exhibit to exhibit or you can rent a golf cart for $10 for your convenience.
- Ask questions and participate in hands on activities that are offered.
- Vending and snacks are available at the museum store and picnic tables are available. You can bring a picnic lunch or leave the museum to dine in town.