The Health Museum, officially known as the John P. McGovern Museum of Health & Medical Science, is an interactive science center located in the heart of Houston. It is the most visited health museum in the entire country, and focuses on educating children and adults alike about health, the human body, and medical science.
The Health Museum is a great family attraction due to its fascinating hands-on exhibits that allow children to explore the wonders of the human body in a uniquely fun, informative way.
Things to Do
- Check out You: The Exhibit, where visitors can learn all about themselves physically and mentally. Features include a body scanner, a height calculator, a "life-span-o-meter", and a postcard confession area.
- Visit the Amazing Body Pavilion, one of the museum's most popular exhibits. Kids can ride a bicycle with a skeleton, walk inside an eyeball, explore an over 27-foot intestine, and walk through a giant brain filled with memory games.
- If your child is a budding scientist, take them to the new Cell Lab exhibit, where they can put on a lab coat and perform a science experiment with the help of museum staff.
- Head to the 4D theater to see Planet You 3D, a film produced by the museum that teaches you all about the microscopic creatures that live on our skin. It's especially fun due to the use of special effects like lightning, rain, and smells!
The Health Museum Insider Tips
- Visit the museum on Thursdays between 2 and 5 p.m. for free admission! Children 2 and under always get in free as well.
- Don't miss the new Scream Booth in the Amazing Body Pavilion. Your children will love having the chance to compare their loudest scream to the roar of a lion!
- Get the whole family involved in an activity together in the Brain Teasers area, where you can work together to solve tricky puzzles and number games.