Spend the day exploring one of the largest marine museums in America at the National Maritime Museum. This museum is home to the historic USS Monitor and contains thousands of artifacts and exhibits that span hundreds of years worth of maritime treasures.
The museum is situated on 550 acres of beautiful park land a 167 acres lake, along which you can follow beautiful five miles of trails and great scenic areas. Really enhance your day by combining the focus of your visit between the Park and museum for a very robust experience.
Things to Do for Kids
- Explore the Activity Ship in the lobby of the museum which offers children the opportunity to experience what life was like sailing on the high seas.
- There are many hands on activities and games available in the gallery that give children experience participating in discovering how things work.
- Follow clues in the Museum Quest Game as you search for the 9 most interesting items in the museum. Children who find all 9 items, will receive a prize.
- View the exhibit dedicated to the battle between the USS Monitor and the CSS Virginia
- Tons of interactive maritime and historical exhibits.
- Explore the Dinosaurs of the deep exhibit about dinosaurs that lived in the water.
Mariner's Museum Insider Tips
- Definitely take the time to view the D-Day film.
- You will need several hours to really explore this entire museum. You will want to see it all!
- Add to your tour with a nice walk on the beautiful 5 mile walking trail complete with bridges and scenic views.
- Be sure to also check the website for a detailed listing of what there is to see at this museum, as the list is extensive.