The aim of the New Children's Museum is to give kids space and encouragement to practice their developing physical and mental faculties. What makes this Museum different from other children's museums of its kind is its basis in the arts. While the exhibits and programs do emphasize science there is also a concentration on encouraging the children to explore the arts in a manner that they can understand. That means interacting with artworks in a hands-on way so that art becomes a true experience.
Things to Do
- In the Museum's permanent Art Studio children are invited to interact with a new art project every month. A new guest artist chooses a theme each month and children can work alongside them receiving instruction but being allowed to channel their own creativity too.
- Plus they can dig into the museum's collection of materials to create their own works!
The New Children's Museum Insider Tips
- Keep up with any events and offers on the Museum's facebook and twitter.
- The New Children's Museum is closed on Tuesdays. Admission is free every second Sunday of the month.
- If you are just coming to see San Diego and its surroundings for a few days or you are a local who wants to make more of the many attractions in the area then you should take advantage of the GO San Diego Card. This card can be bought for a few days and gives you discounts on 44 attractions in total. Aside from the New Children's Museum this card includes other kid friendly options such as Sea World, the San Diego Zoo and LEGOLAND California.