The Phoenix Art Museum is one of the most impressive facilities of its kind in the Southwest United States. Its collection boasts some 18,000 art works from across the globe while the building itself provides 285,000 square feet of exhibition space. Film events, tours, workshops, lectures and talks are organized regularly. Be sure to take a look at their website before visiting to see what special exhibits they have lined up.
Things to Do
- Families can take advantage of docent led tours from Tuesdays to Thursdays. Alternatively groups can book special organized tours as long as they make the arrangements with the Museum at least five weeks in advance.
- For teachers planning to bring their class group the Museum provides a seventeen minute introductory video on their tours page to get them ready for the visit.
- The Museum tries to make their exhibits engaging and accessible to all ages including families and children.
- At least once a month on either Wednesday or Friday evenings the Museum hosts their Make It program where you and your kids can enjoy hands on activities linked to one of their current exhibits.
- On PhxArtKids Days children are invited be inspired by the Museum's artworks and write short stories based on what they have seen and enjoyed.
- If you are not visiting when there is a special family event on then you can still pick up a Scavenger Hunt at the Visitor's Services counter.
The Phoenix Art Museum Insider Tips
- The Museum is closed on Mondays and Tuesdays. There are free evenings every Wednesday and Friday. Children under the age of 5 always get in for free.