Experience the magic that comes from adding rubbing alcohol to sharpie marker drawings while making these lovely Tie Dye Bookmarks. This activity will appeal to kids, crafters and readers of all ages and also makes a handmade great gift idea. It is also a nice bonus that this project uses recycled materials to create a work of art.
- Plastic Vinegar Bottle
- Variety of colors of Sharpie Markers
- Rubbing alcohol
- Straw or dropper
- Ribbon, Yarn or string
- Hole Punch
- Spray sealant
How to Make It
- Remove the label from your vinegar bottle by soaking it in hot water for about 10 minutes. The label should peel right off.
- Draw or trace a bookmark on the bottle in as many spots as you can fit on the bottle.
- Use sharp scissors to cut the bookmark shapes out.
- Take your Sharpie Markers and color in the entire bookmark. Try to use as much color as you can if you want a true tie dyed look upon conclusion of this project.
- Use a dropper or carefully use a straw to drop tiny drops of rubbing alcohol onto the bookmark.
- Watch the colors blend.
- Keep the bookmark completely flat and let it dry completely. The alcohol will evaporate quickly.
- If at any time, you want to start over, you can use a paper towel and wipe it completely clean and start over.
- When the bookmark is completely dry, spray your spray sealant very lightly onto the bookmark. Do not use too much or else your colors will run. It is really just a quick spritz.
- Let it dry thoroughly
- Use your hole punch to punch a hole in the top center of your bookmark.
- Tie a decorative string or ribbon through the top.