Trapper John's Canoe Livery is one of the closest companies to Columbus which offers canoeing and kayaking to the public. Located only about ten minutes from the city it makes for a perfect day trip out. Once you are all geared up you will take a trip down the State and National Scenic Big Derby Creek. The waters here are pleasant so you don't need to worry about being a canoeing or kayaking expert. Just take your time and enjoy your time floating lazily down the creek!
Things to Do
- A few different trips are offered by Trapper John's. The Full Day Trip lasts between four and six hours. It is recommended that you bring food and drink on this trip. If that sounds like too long out on the water you can split it up into the Lower or Upper Trip which take you to different sections of the route.
- For more advanced canoers who want something a bit more special you can book a guided moonlight trip which guarantees a special evening for all.
Trapper John's Canoe Livery Insider Tips
- To save a bit of time fill out your release form before you arrive.
- Though you can bring along a small cooler with a couple of cold drinks and a snack it is prohibited to bring anything more than that. Glass containers and Styrofoam coolers are also not allowed. This is to ensure that visitors do not damage the Creek. The size of coolers can sometimes ve a contentious issue between customers and the management so be warned in advance!
- During Off Peak Season Trapper John's still run trips on the river though you need to call ahead to make sure conditions are ok to head out on the creek.