Millions of dollars in U.S. currency is printed right before you eyes as you tour the Bureau of Engraving and Printing. Tour this interesting Visitor Center to explore and learn all there is to know about paper currency. The tour takes place over an entire production gallery, so you get to watch the whole process from start to finish in real time.
Things to Do
- Take a forty minute freeguided tour of the Bureau of Engraving and Printing where you will receive a tour of the currency production process and watch a short film about the history of paper money.
- View currency exhibits on display
- Shop for currency products which are on sale at the visitor center.
Bureau of Engraving and Printing Insider Tips
- From March through August, the ticket booth opens at 8am and closes when all tickets are distributed for that day. So get there early to ensure access to this free tour.
- Tours begin every 15 minutes from 9am until 10:45am and resume again at 12:30pm and 2:00pm
- During the off peak season, tickets are not necessary. Tours run at the same times as above on a first come first serve basis.
- Cameras are allowed but they are prohibited in the tour gallery.
- Group tours must be scheduled in advance.
- Strollers are allowed in the facility but they not be taken on any of the tours.
- This is a short tour, so be sure to plan for other activities as you plan your day.