Take your children to the USS Albacore Museum that showcases USS Albacore submarine built in 1952-1953, and see a variety of informational, scientific and technical submarine related exhibits. Visitors interested in submarines and related exhibits and artifacts can visit the museum all through the year in Albacore Park, Portsmouth, New Hampshire. The submarine is named after a tuna fish known as Albacore. The historic submarine is 204 feet in length, the submarine was the fastest in its time when it was used during the world war II. Visitors can take self-guided tours of the submarine and the museum, there is a visitor center to visit and a memorial garden.
Things to Do
- Visit the Albacore Museum with your family and get a full insight into the world's fastest and technologically advanced submarine of its times.
- You can take a self guided tour and their are kiosks for multimedia, audio tours and videos that provide information on the submarine.
- Hear the stories of the crew members that worked and lived in the vessel, visit the visitor center for its historic endeavors and more information on the Albacore.
- The gift shop stocks many interesting items, including apparel, mugs, submarine related books, toys for kids, and other stuff.
- Many events are organized in the Albacore park, including Navy history day and Spring day.
USS Albacore Museum Insider Tips
- The submarine is a tight vessel, not suitable for people with mobility issues.
- Restrooms are available in the visitor center.