The USS Midway Museum is a popular maritime museum located at Navy Pier in downtown San Diego. The museum is located aboard the USS Midway, the longest-serving U.S. aircraft carrier of the 20th century, which reminds visitors of a floating city due to its immense size. It features over 60 exhibits, a fascinating collection of military aircraft, and exciting flight simulators that are sure to provide any family with a fun-filled day.
Things to Do
- Check out the large collection of restored military aircraft, including an SBD Dauntless dive bomber and an F-4 Phantom used in the Vietnam War.
- Visit the Sick Bay exhibit, where you can learn about how they perform surgery at sea.
- Test your flight skills by climbing into one of their two flight simulators! The Air Combat 360 simulator allows two people to take part in a thrilling aerial combat ride, while the Flight Avionics simulator allows larger groups to take part in an exciting simulated mission in Operation Desert Storm.
- Take photos of your child as they climb inside various Navy aircraft cockpits.
USS Midway Museum Insider Tips
- Learn all about the history of the USS Midway by taking the free self-guided audio tour through its exhibits, which is narrated by sailors who lived on the aircraft carrier.
- If you're planning to take public transportation to the museum, you can reach it by taking a train, coaster or trolley to the Santa Fe Depot.
- View their calendar to learn about upcoming family-friendly activities at the museum, including musical performances, military events, holiday festivities, and more!