Vasquez Rocks Natural Area Park is located in the Sierra Pelona Mountains of northern Los Angeles County. The park consists of over 900 acres of desert land that feature the breathtaking rock formations known as the Vasquez Rocks, named after the notorious bandit Tiburcio Vasquez, who used them to hide from law enforcement back in 1874.
Despite its namesake, the park is a great place for families to enjoy the beautiful California weather while hiking or having a picnic. It is especially popular with teenagers and adults due to its frequent use as a filming location for popular movies and television shows.
Things to Do
- Go for a family hike on one of the trails and explore the fascinating prehistoric rock formations. You can even bring your dog along to get some exercise too.
- Visit the interpretive center - it features living creatures like lizards and snakes that call the desert home, as well as an exhibit that tells visitors about the park's use as a famous Hollywood filming location.
- Practice your photography skills while looking for famous filming locations! Vasquez Rocks was an important setting in several Star Trek episodes, as well as being used by shows such as The Big Bang Theory and Friends, and films including Little Miss Sunshine and Werewolf of London.
Vasquez Rocks Natural Area Park Insider Tips
- Make sure to wear appropriate shoes and to bring water bottles with you if you plan to be hiking. There is a water fountain in the interpretive center, but it may not be open during your visit since it is closed on Mondays.
- Take the self-guided tour of Vasquez Rocks. It features 12 different stops and informs visitors about the natural and cultural history of the area, including its importance to the Tataviam and Shoshone Native American groups.
- There aren't many restaurants nearby, so if you're planning to spend a lot of time in the area, bring along food for a picnic.