If you are looking for an activity that the whole family will enjoy in Portland, visit the Washington Park and Zoo Railway. The railway runs along Oregon Zoo, Hoyt Arboretum, International Rose Test Garden, and World Forestry Center. The train ride is especially fun and exciting for younger kids. It's a different way to see all these sights in six minutes. Train tickets are not included in the zoo entrance fee and costs an extra $4 per person.
Things to Do
- See the animals at Oregon Zoo - from elephants, bears, and monkeys to penguins and other types of birds in the aviary.
- Pay the additional fee to ride the train and see more animals while on it. As of writing, the route is under renovation and is currently not passing through to Washington Park and the International Rose Test Garden.
- Sign up for activities such as discovery hikes and animal interactions. Visit the zoo's event page for a list of upcoming events.
- If you visit during winter, grab the chance to witness the zoo lit up with more than a million and a half LED lights for the annual ZooLights event.
Washington Park and Zoo Railway Insider Tips
- Try coming on a rainy day and bring an umbrella. Visitors commented that some animals like going out under the rain so you'll end up seeing more of them.
- It can get crowded on weekends. Visit on a weekday afternoon if you want to avoid the crowd.