Create your own watercolor painted stationary, postcards, or lovely visual art by using doilies and watercolors to make lovely stenciled artwork. This art project is very easy to do and produces magical results that any artist would be proud of.
In this project, we made stationary and postcards, but then we expanded our vision a bit to creating matting for some poems that the kids wrote. They made great gifts when framed and the kids were so proud of the fact that this was all of their own work from start to finish.
- Fancy Doilies
- Watercolor Paints
- Paint Brush
- Watercolor Paper
How to Do It
- Set up your work space with a cup of clean water, your watercolor paints, a paintbrush and some watercolor paper.
- Separate a single doily from the pack. They tend to stick together so carefully pull away one of the decorative doily papers.
- Lay the decorative cutout section of the doily over your watercolor paper in the space where you would like the design to lay.
- Dip your paintbrush into the water and then dip into the water color paint.
- Use your brush to paint over the top of the doily while using your other hand to hold the doily in place. You want to be careful with how much you saturate your brush. Less water on the brush transfers the intricate design much better than if your brush is soaked.
- When you finish an area, move the doily around the paper and repeat in different spots.
- Lift the doily away to reveal a beautiful stenciled pattern among the lovely watercolors that blend into one another.