Waterfront Park is a city park located alongside the Willamette River in the heart of downtown Portland, Oregon. It is one of the most popular parks in Portland due to the wide variety of attractions it provides, including walking and cycling trails, a boat dock, a historical site, a fountain, and numerous monuments and memorials. The park is also often used as the site of local festivals and markets, which makes it a great attraction for families.
Things to Do
- Visit the Battleship Oregon Memorial, which was erected in honor of the USS Oregon in 1956. It is known for its famous time capsule, which will be opened after 100 years in July of 2076.
- Cool off in the summertime by taking your child to splash and play in the beautiful Salmon Street Springs play fountain, which features over 100 jets.
- Get some exercise and enjoy the fresh air by the Willamette River while going for a family walk or bike ride along one of the many trails in the park.
Waterfront Park Insider Tips
- Don't miss the Portland Saturday Market, which is held in the park each Saturday from March through December. It is the largest continuously operating outdoor market in the country, and features all kinds of exciting arts and crafts.
- If you're interested in maritime history, check out the Oregon Maritime Center and Museum, which is located inside of the sternwheeler Portland, a steamboat built in 1947.
- Bring along a camera to take photos of the river and the many beautiful memorials and pieces of public artwork throughout the park.