Wehr Nature Center is a popular nature attraction in Franklin, Wisconsin, which is just 10 miles from downtown Milwaukee. It contains over 200 acres of land with woodland, wetland, prairie, and lake habitats that can be explored using over five miles of trails. It also features a visitor center with fascinating displays related to natural history and an indoor beehive. It's a great place to spend a sunny day exploring nature, especially due to the great family programs they provide.
Things to Do
- Stop into the visitor center to see nature displays and an indoor beehive that will amaze visitors of all ages.
- Go for a hike on one of the many trails! The best trail for families is the half-mile Family Friendly Trail, which passes by Mallard Lake, the wetland, and the woodland.
- Take your little one to the Early Childhood Play Space, which features a sandbox, a log cabin playhouse, and stepping stones for young visitors.
- Explore the beautiful Variety Gardens outside of the visitor center, which contain all kinds of plant species from woodland and prairie habitats.
Wehr Nature Center Insider Tips
- Make sure to be respectful of the nature center's rules and stay on the designated trails.
- Don't miss the Nature Store, which sells dozens of nature-themed gifts and souvenirs!
- Check out the nature center's popular educational programs for teens, children, and adults.