West Cliff Drive has been a hugely popular destination for Santa Cruz locals for many years and it is easy to see why. This is one area that shows California in all its true breath-taking beauty. It makes an excellent spot to walk and take in the natural features of the surrounding area. You should be able to see some local wildlife and marine life. It makes a great spot to do some people watching too!
Things to Do
- There is a two mile long mixed use bicycle path along West Cliff Drive that also happens to be wheelchair accessible. Walk, cycle, skate or jog along here and take in the views while you do it.
- Stop off to enjoy surfing on the beach below and to explore the tide pools. Animals you could see include sea otters, seals, whales and monarch butterflies.
- Depending at what end of the Drive you finish at you can follow your walk with a visit to the Boardwalk and municipal pier or to the Natural Bridges State Park.
West Cliff Drive Insider Tips
- Make sure to bring a jacket. Even on hot days the temperature can descend quite quickly once the sun goes down.
- If you can try to get here early. Especially during the summer months West Cliff Drive tends to attract big crowds so if you can try to get in ahead of the rush!
- Bring along your dog as this walk is totally dog friendly. You will have to keep him on a leash as you go along the path but you can let him run free if you go down onto Lighthouse Beach.