Wheaton Regional Park is a 536-acre park near the city of Wheaton, Maryland. Located just 10 miles north of Washington, D.C., this park maintained by Montgomery County is a popular attraction for families with children of all ages.
If there's an outdoor activity you want to do, the odds are pretty good that Wheaton Regional Park has facilities for it. Families can go fishing, hiking, horseback riding, or ice skating, play ball, have a picnic, take part in a nature program, and do many other activities in this beautiful nature area.
Things to Do
- Take your kids to the Adventure Playground, where they can play on the slides and swings, try out the gymnastic equipment, and climb mounds, nets, and walls. There's also a giant sandbox where they can use their imagination and make new friends.
- Go for a ride on the miniature train! One of the park's most popular attractions is its replica of an 1863 train that takes riders on a 10-minute journey through the park's woods and meadows. Rides are available daily between May and August and on weekends in April and September.
- Explore the various trails which are available for hiking, biking, skating, and horseback riding. They include 4 miles of hard-surface trails that are perfect for families with young children in strollers and visitors in wheelchairs.
Wheaton Regional Park Insider Tips
- Young children will love going for a ride on the park's historic musical carousel that was built in 1915. Riders can choose from a selection of 33 different horses, three zebras, and two chariots. The carousel is open during the same times of year as the miniature train.
- Visit the Wheaton Ice Arena located within the park to go ice skating any time of the year with your family. Check the ice arena's website for information on special events and promotions, including discounted rates for Parent & Tot Skates events on Friday mornings.
- Bring along some food and enjoy a picnic in the summer sun. The park's Shorefield Area features numerous picnic tables and grills that are available for public use, as well as restrooms that are open between April and October.