Dallas, Texas is a unique city to visit. With a massive city skyline, sprawling farmland, and beautiful state parks you can experience an array of adventures while never leaving the city. Visiting White Rock Lake is one of those grand adventures. Just 5 miles from downtown Dallas, you'll enter the 1000+ acre city lake and park and forget the big city even exists. With 10 mile bike trails, museums and arboretums, wetlands and bird sanctuaries, and even a swimming hole, White Rock Lake can give your family a vacation from your vacation in the city.
Pack a picnic and feel free to bring the dog! White Rock Lake boasts a special dog park for our furry friends along with picnic tables and pavilions that are available for rent (or on a first-come-first served basis). There are also two huge rental facilities - Winfrey Point and Big Thicket - which are perfect for birthday parties, family reunions, or large group gatherings.
Things to Do
- Among swimming, fishing, and picnics, you can hike and/or bike their 9.33 mile trail. Also consider visiting one of their many cultural amenities:
- Bath House Cultural Center: an art-deco style museum featuring works by local and national artists, including performances in their 116-seat theater
- White Rock Lake Museum: Located inside the Bath House, this museum covers the history of the lake including notes on the flora and fauna that reside there
- Dallas Arboretum & Botanical Garden: Take a stroll through the park's garden and enjoy the seasonal blooms; admission prices vary based on age and is free for Garden Members
White Rock Lake Insider Tips
- Visit the park during the week. Weekends can be crowded, especially on the bike trails and around the water.
- If you plan on renting a pavilion or one of the park's two rental facilties, it is recommended that you call ahead as early as possible in order to reserve the space.
- Summer months can be especially busy with local sports and running events reserving much of the park, so plan accordingly for your birthday party or event.