Create these lovely and easy to make yarn wrapped owls. This is a great craft idea for children to use up leftover scrap yarn and cardboard from the recycle bin. Adults and children alike will enjoy wrapping their way to an artsy owl.
These adorable little creatures can be made into ornaments by punching a hole in the top and threading a loop of yarn through and tying it up. Add a magnet to the back to create a magnet or simply prop up your owl family around your home to add to your decor.
- Orange felt
- Glue gun
How to Make It
- Draw a simple owl shape onto a piece of corrugated cardboard like depicted in the photo above.
- Choose a color of yarn and begin wrapping it around and around the cardboard.
- Keep wrapping.
- Add small dabs of hot glue here and there as you go, especially around the tighter more angled areas like the ears.
- Alternate the directions in which you wrap to ensure that you have even coverage of the cardboard. It is also good for adding depth to your owl.
- When you are finished wrapping, add a small dab of glue to the end of the yarn. Tuck this piece behind some of the other yarn on the back of the owl.
- Cut out a small triangle from felt for the beak. Glue the beak in place on the face of your owl and then, glue on buttons for eyes. Layer the buttons in two sizes if desired.