Create a whimsical Zoe Tissue Paper Pom Pom for the Sesame Street afficianado in your home. Based on the concept of the traditional tissue paper flowers of years past, these fun loving muppet creature are fun to create. The pom pom itself is very simple to make. Zoe's facial features may need some adult guidance as her face is a little more complex than some of the original characters.
These tissue paper masterpieces are great for party decorations or stand alone play or playroom/ bedroom decor. Children will find delight in the fact that they made them by hand with this fun craft.
- Several sheets of orange tissue paper
- Craft wire or pipecleaner
- White, Red, Purple and Pink Card stock
- Medium pink pom pom
- A black and light blue marker
- Glue Gun
How to Make Them
- Lay 8-10 sheets of large orange tissue paper on top of each other.
- Fold them together in 1 inch segments back and forth, back and forth accordion style until the entire tissue paper surface is folded like a fan.
- Secure the paper in the center with some craft wire or a pipe cleaner.
- Tie a long piece of twine to the craft wire or pipe cleaner.
- Use sharp scissors to cut a rounded edge on each end of the folded tissue paper.
- Gently fan the sides out and carefully pull back each layer of tissue and pull toward the center.
- When you are half way through the stack of tissue, flip it over and pull the layers that have not been spread yet, in the opposite direction.
- Cut a 6 inch half circle out of red card stock for a large pom pom to create the mouth. Trim the half circle so that it is wider on the top than on the bottom.
- Cut out a 3 inch rounded heart out of pink card stock and glue that heart to the center of your newly shaped red card stock.
- Separate two lower layers of tissue paper and use your hot glue gun to adhere the mouth to your pom pom face.
- Next sketch a rounded figure eight that is 6 inches in length onto your card stock. Make sure that the two sides are rounded as much as possible like two circles that are connected in the middle.
- Cut out the figure eight, ensuring that there is plenty of connecting paper between the two circles as shown above.
- Use your light blue marker to color the top quarter of the rounded dual eyed paper.
- With your brown marker, create thick triangular zigzags from the edge of the blue marker and overlapping the blue marker. You have now created Zoe's eyelids, lashes and eyes. Adhere them to the proper position on the face of Zoe.
- Glue the pink pom pom for Zoe's nose.
- Lastly, make a small 2 inch bow out of purple card stock and glue to the upper corner of the head.